June 23, 2022
How to Manage and Treat Your Allergies in Houston, Texas
Allergies in Houston, Texas bring misery and discomfort to city residents all year long. With temperatures breaching the 90°F barrier and with high rainfalls, it's a recipe for hot and humid days, meaning miserable allergies for everyone. So if you've been feeling stuffed up and tired for weeks on end, wondering what the heck is going on with your immune system – then you're in the right place to discover where you can find relief in Houston and get back to living your life allergy-free!
What are the most common allergies in Houston, Texas?
Tree pollen allergies usually begin around January to September. A warmer winter means a longer growing season for trees to produce pollen. The top tree that allergy sufferers find most problematic to their allergy symptoms are:
Grass pollen is one of the most common allergies in the world! Grasses pollinate during the hotter months of March through July but tend to die down once we reach September. While there are more than 1,000 types of grass, these specific ones are most likely the culprit of your grass allergies in Houston.
- Sweet Vernal
- Blue Grass
Ragweed season doesn’t begin until the weather cools down. In Houston, this is typically around Mid August through November or until the first frost. The issue with ragweed is that it’s virtually unavoidable. One ragweed plant can produce over a billion grains of pollen per season! If you’re experiencing allergies in the fall, there’s a good chance it’s because of ragweed.
Mold is a serious issue in Houston due to the humid climate and nature of flooding. Mold is known to cause flare-ups of asthma and sinus problems, as well as cause hay fever symptoms. If you notice mold in your home, make sure to take care of it before it gets worse.
Is living in Houston, Texas better for my allergies?
Houston is not the best place to live if you suffer from allergies. Houston is currently ranked #34 on the Top 100 Allergy Capitals, moving up 16 spots after being ranked 50th in 2021.
How long is allergy season in Houston?
Because Houston's climate is typically warm and humid it promotes pollen growth almost all year round. The allergy season in Houston typically begins in January and goes through September. It also seems to only be getting worse as our winters continue to get warmer, creating a longer pollinating season.
Seasonal Allergy Symptoms:
- Excessive sneezing
- Runny nose
- Allergy fatigue
- Itchy, watery, or burning eyes
- Rashes or hives
- Shortness of breath or wheezing
Because Houston's allergy season is so long, it’s likely that you're feeling these symptoms quite often. It's important to remember that antihistamines, like Benadryl, only mask the symptoms, not actually treat them. If you're looking to find real relief, explore our long-term relief treatments, that will actually cure your allergies.
What can I do to help my seasonal allergies?
- Get an allergy test. Be fully prepared when your allergy season comes. If you know what you're allergic to, you can be better prepared against it.
- Know what allergy season is coming up. An allergy calendar is a great way to see what allergy season is going to be affecting Houston.
- Use a HEPA air filter. This will help reduce the amount of pollen that is stuck inside your home.
- Wash off when you come in from outside. Allergens can stick to our clothing, hair, and skin when we are outside, be sure to rinse off to help not bring allergens inside.
- Time your day. Pollen levels are typically higher in the morning, so plan ahead and try to do your outside chores in the afternoon.
- Wash your bedding frequently. Be sure to wash bedding in hot, soapy water to kill any lingering allergens.
- Close windows and doors. Especially when pollen levels are high. It's best to stay indoors if you know pollen levels are going to be high.
- Check your Houston allergy report daily. This is extremely important in preparing for allergies. Make sure that this report includes Houston pollen count as well. This can be done through the Houston app or through pollen.com
Allergy treatment in Houston, Texas
At Aspire Allergy & Sinus we offer a selection of allergy treatments for both seasonal and environmental allergies. We have clinics in Houston and its surrounding areas, all ready to service you! We have clinics in, The Woodlands, Kingwood, Cypress, Katy, Sugar Land, Uptown Houston, Pearland, and Webster!
Our Houston team consists of, Dr. Chris Thompson, sinus medical director/sinus surgeon, Dr. Susan Andrew, allergist, Dr. Nicole Christians, allergist, Chandra McDonald, PA-C, and Katie Larson, PA-C!
Be sure to make an appointment online at one of our many Houston clinics!
Allergy shots - Allergy shots are great for those who are looking to implement a routine to treat their allergies. They are a form of immunotherapy. You come into the office on a weekly or monthly basis and receive a shot of the allergen to boost* your immune system. They're a great choice for those who have health insurance as well.
Allergy drops - Allergy drops are a form of sublingual immunotherapy. Just three drops under your tongue each day, make it super easy and convenient especially for people who are on the go.
ExACT Immunoplasty - If you want to get rid of your allergies in just 3 easy appointments then this is the treatment for you! ExACT is a new innovative treatment that allows patients to quickly get rid of their allergies without waiting! ExACT has an 87% success rate and is just as effective as three years of allergy shots!
Houston is such a beautiful place to live with so many attractions and things to do. Don't let allergies ruin that for you. At Aspire Allergy & Sinus we are dedicated to helping you find a treatment that works. Stop tolerating your allergies and let us help you beat them for good. Book your appointment online today!